The largest functional organ of human body is skin. Toxins make their way into the body through skin. The market is abundant with ready to use natural clay masks for your skin care. It is important to be aware of ingredients of these skin care products. The save yourself from these necessary evils of toxins present in skin care clay masks is to make it at your home.
It is important to read skin care labels to know with what ingredients you are treating your skin.
- A familiar toxin used as preservative in packaged volcanic clay masks is dmdm hydantoin. Derived from methanol it result in burning, scaling, hives, itching and blistering of skin due to poor immune system response. It can also cause cancer.
- Styrax Benzoin extract is another common allergen found in clay mask. It can cause skin irritations, welts and urinary problems when absorbed through the skin.
- Potassium Hydroxide or caustic potash is another ingredient used in clay masks. Being highly corrosive, it causes rashes and burning in the skin and when used in greater concentrations (5%), can destroy fingernails.
Fortunately, there is a natural substance called calcium bentonite clay that can be used to prepare a toxic free mask. Clay is a mineral whose chemical compositions are similar. Clay in the semctite family is more suitable to prepare clay masks.
To make homemade clay mask, you can used any quality of calcium bentoite clay. To make it follow the following steps
- Mix 1 part dry calcium bentonite clay with 3 parts filtered water or organic apple cider vinegar or rosewater as the substitute of water.
- Blend well till the consistency of sour cream.
- Keep it covered for 12 hours or more.
How to Apply
- Apply a thin layer to the skin and allow it to dry for 15 to 20 minutes
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
- After rinsing with water moisturize it.
As clay increases blood circulation, you will experience some temporary redness of the skin. Clay facials can be done once week for the purpose of exfoliation and cleansing.